8.10.2010

A Dad and his boys

Each evening, I hand the reins over the Shawn and I try to just sit back and enjoy the interaction between him and his boys. The wrestling, the armpit farting, the "OOhh...Made you look!" moments, the way all four of them are sucked into recorded episodes of Ninja Warrior....I can't help but wonder how this dynamic would change if a girl was thrown into the mix. But, I definitely do know that another boy in the mix will make every moment even more enjoyable than they are now.

The division of labor between us is pretty defined: he does things with them to help them get boo-boos and I kiss the boo-boos to make them better. He is very hands-on with the boys and takes them out to get dirty and do, well, boy things. And it never fails that each time we do something new, some moment during the drive to wherever our destination may be, he will say something like, "I used to do this with my Dad all the time." Camping, fishing, swimming in the river, digging for worms in the dirt....all of which are now things that our boys love to do with him. I guess there really is something to say about a Dad and his boys.

He made Liam's 1st birthday cake. Yes, HE did it all...with that cute, pink spatula.
The finished product.
He also made Isaiah's 6th birthday cake. So awesome!
Snowmobiling in North Tahoe.
Exploring Golden Gate Park in SF.
An Easter hike at Mission Peak in Fremont.
Playing in the Stanislaus River at Caswell State Park.
Picnic at Caswell.
Pee-ing in the trees.

3 comments:

Anne Eurose said...

You are very blessed with him :). (Side note: my word verification for this was: groin!)

The Dog Is My Favorite said...

We have children whose best gift in the world is the daddy they were given. So happy your boys have the same gift. Loved this post!

katrina adams said...

thanks, girls. i'm thankful every day for him and also for wonderful friends like you to share my joy with!!! thanks for listening (er...reading...) :)