10.27.2010

My Crafty Corner

Today was one of those do-nothing days. The weather was gloomy and cloudy, it was pretty darn cold outside, Liam has the sniffles and a low-grade fever...nothing else to do but bum around the house in our warm pjs. Well, I guess this is after I had to make a quick trip to Target to pick up some cleaning supplies and other goodies for the boys' Halloween parties at school this week.

After I finished my "chores", I got cozy in my crafting corner and started on the Halloween treats for Mikey's classmates. I made the same little mummy chocolate bars that I made for Isaiah's class last year. They were such a hit, I decided to do them again...and I'm also lacking in creative ideas and didn't think I could come up with any other clever treat by tomorrow....
In the process of putting these together, I realized I need some sort of note/tag to put inside. Now, there are plenty of printable Halloween tags all over the internet. My problem was that all of the cute ones were 2" circles and, of course, the only punch I have is a 2" scalloped square. I searched high and low for a 2" square tag and could find nothing! Isn't that crazy? But it's ok!!! Because I discovered a website suggested by The Mother Huddle that is far more thrilling and worthwhile: www. picnik.com. On this site, you can make ANY shape, size, color, style of printable you could ever possibly think of. It's even great for last-minute graphics and banners for your blog. Awesome, right? And it really is so very easy. I made the same tag that The Mother Huddle demonstrates in less that 10 minutes! I wish I had more time to tinker with it because there's so much you can do. This is definitely a site I will be utilizing A LOT and I'm sooooo glad I stumbled upon it.

Here is the tag I made for the inside of Mikey's mummy bars.
Fiddling with picnik.com made me realize that there is this other website I've been wanting to tinker with: www.wordle.com. You can create "word clouds" using words that you provide and the more times a particular word is present in the list, the larger it shows up in the word cloud. Then you can change the color scheme, fonts, etc, and just create something so personalized. It's perfect for gifts!

I have been intending to make one for Liam because it would match a print with his name and the alphabet that was given to him for Christmas in a previous year. So, I put together a bunch of words that describe my sweet little Liam and, voila!, an instant and super awesome word cloud fit just for him. I uploaded it to Costco and ordered it in a 20x30 print to frame and put up in his room. I hope it comes out well...but that is one of the wonderful things about the Costco photo center...a 20x30 print is only $8.99, so if it comes out completely sucky, you don't lose much! :)
I hope you are all enjoying this gloomy Wednesday as much as I am!

No comments: