4.17.2010

For the love of breakfast...and cocktails.

Shawn and I have an informal tradition of cooking breakfast together on Saturday mornings. I call it informal because we only do this when possible. Sometimes we have early plans or are out of town, so it doesn't happen. All week, I cook alone just so everything is ready when he gets home from work in the evening. But we are both foodies (and winos, but that's a whole different story) and love to cook, so we spend much of our quality time in the kitchen....that's just us.

I recently discovered a pretty good blog called 20something cupcakes that is all about a few of my favorite things: fashion, food, cupcakes, and cocktails. A few days ago, I read her post about a recipe for scrambled egg quesadillas. I knew right when I read this that it would be our effort for the weekend.

Saturday morning rolled around and I woke up later than usual (yay), but Shawn was still ready and willing to whip up a good breakfast together. The recipe was really very quick and easy to put together. The chimichurri was absolutely delish. Tart, yet refreshing and bursting with flavor. The crema is the portion of the recipe that we didn't make. For dinner the night before, I made roasted artichoke and chiptole aioli and had plenty of the aioli leftover. So we substituted that for the crema. Mayonnaise, sour cream, whatever...they are both equally fattening and equally delicious!

We also couldn't agree more with Sarah of 20something: What's brunch without the perfect cocktail? Hello, bloody mary! We used her variation of Emeril's recipe for the perfect bloody mary. The spicier the better, and it was absolute perfection with the breakfast quesadillas.

This fabulous pairing definitely screamed, "The weekend is here!"

No comments: