Now, for the situation that sparks my concern about my obsessiveness....Since Isaiah's birthday last month, he has collected a number of Lego sets. The kinds for kids ages 8-12 or whatever, which means they have a gazillion thousand miniscule pieces per set. Since then, I have been finding pieces strewn every which way around the house and it has been driving me insane. The even crazier part is that I think Isaiah has inherited my obsessiveness (lucky him!) because I can pick up and show him a single lego and he can tell me exactly where on which set it belongs.
In order to contain this mess that keeps me up at night, we went to Wal-mart in search of a reasonable, yet effective, means of store it all. Depending on the size of the set he has, we (or, I) picked an appropriately-sized plastic box to store the pieces. While the two little ones were napping, Isaiah and I sorted through all of the pieces and separated them, as best we could, into their very own comfy, new homes complete with their instruction booklets. This is how it looks now. Neat and tidy, yeah?

I was quite happy with how it all turned out and was actually kind of proud that Isaiah was such a big help in accomplishing this with me. It really, truly was something that bugged me to my core!!!Later in the day, my sister came to visit and spotted the tidiness that used to be a giant lego mess. She looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Seriously, Katrina? If you're going to be that obsessive about it, you may as well not even buy them!" Well, let me tell you, that statement invoked some serious thought! I then remembered the time I expressed my concern about this situation to Shawn, who also thought I was crazy, and his suggestion was, "Don't even bother! Just throw them into one big Rubbermaid." That just sounded disgusting and unacceptable to me!
But, there is one thing that makes me feel like my obsessiveness has gone a little too far. Because we were only able to roughly separate the pieces by set, there is still a box of unknowns, with no home. So sad, I know. Because I didn't want to have to deal with a lego orphanage, the thought crossed my mind to go through each instruction booklet and locate every single piece that it calls for. Just so I can be sure the sets are complete and I can sleep better at night. The more I thought about it, the more I thought, "I'm flippin' crazy", but also, the more I wanted to do it!
Someone, please, tell me. Am I crazy? I can take it, I swear. I just need to hear it, so then I can do something about it. lol If no one responds then I will assume that I'm perfectly normal and the world can go back to turning happily, and obsessively, once again. Thanks. :)



No comments:
Post a Comment