There have never been words that were more true! In an effort to bridge the communication gap between us, we recently started to introduce "Baby Signs" to Liam, which are signs for basic needs like "more", "milk", "eat", etc. This morning, Liam signed the gesture for "more" and handed me his sippy cup! My heart leapt with excitement and I scooped my baby up and we danced and giggled throughout the living room. This is a huge milestone because, although he has been doing the gesture with his hands for a couple of days, I never really knew whether he was just imitating me or if he actually knew what it meant. But this morning, I knew that he knew the meaning when he handed me the empty sippy cup after he signed his need.
I'm super excited because I'm learning what I can do to help Liam progress forward. And when he does, no matter when or how small the step, I can't help but jump for joy.



2 comments:
i have some baby sign books to give you, if you would like. maybe like 6 of them. they are books you read to liam and they show the signs. lakota loved them. i signed with her from the time she was born. i will get them to you asap!
misty, that would be awesome. we haven't bought any books or videos yet since we are starting really slow. we are only supposed to introduce one sign at a time. we'll be at steph's tomorrow morn, in case you're planning on going too. hope to see you.
Post a Comment