11.30.2010

diy: book paper wreath

I made my first book paper wreath, the idea for which I found on the fabulous blog of Jami Nato. She has some great "Christmas Crafternoon" posts that are so very inspiring and kick my crafty a$$ into gear.

After I made the wreath, I realized it didn't make my cones pointy enough. Boo hoo. But I couldn't have noticed that until I finally hung up the wreath...so whatev. I'm going to make another one. It was really fun and easy...probably took less than 30 minutes and cost me a whole $1.08. Love that....quick, easy, and cheap. Those words are my mantra.


On a completely different note, I'm going to vent. I CANNOT believe how expensive the local Goodwill is becoming! I mean, people go to thrift stores to...well, be thrifty...right??? I'm hoping to make a few of these dessert/cake stands for myself, and if all goes well, maybe give some as Christmas gifts for a few people. I went into the Goodwill in search of candlestick holders and plates. I found 6 candlestick holders and wasn't sure of the pricing so I brought them all up to the counter...the lady was like...these are $3 each. WHAT?!?!? That's insane. I was imagining they'd be around a buck a pop. So I said, "Nevermind", and walked out. And as I was walking out I thought to myself, "Wow. Am I crazy and being wayyyy too cheap? Did I just turn away a purchase from a freakin' thrift store?!?!" and couldn't help but laugh at myself. But, I swear, I could go to Ross or Marshall's and find some brand new candlestick holders for less than $3!!!! Gaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! I'm on a mission to find a good hole-in-the-wall thrift shop within 20 miles of my home.

No comments: